Friday, March 13, 2009

My footprint

As I drove to work this morning I thought about the recession we are in and how similar this situation, is to the economy at the beginning and during WWII. I always hear these public announcements on the radio about the drought and how water usage could soon be mandated and fines given out for using to much water (this is only in southern California that I know of). This sounds eerily similar to the beginning of World War II when rationing systems were put in place in the United States. The first item to be rationed in January 1942 was tires, because supplies of natural rubber were interrupted because of the war. Soon after, passenger automobiles, typewriters, sugar, gasoline, bicycles, footwear, fuel oil, coffee, stoves, meat, lard, shortening and oils, cheese, butter, margarine, processed foods (canned, bottled and frozen), dried fruits, canned milk, firewood and coal, jams, jellies and fruit butter, were rationed by November 1943.
It was required to get classified, and a book of rationing stamps was given, this was done by appearing before a local rationing board. Each person in a household received a ration book, including babies and small children. Imagine today if we were rationed on things like fuel and shoes. I know I would sure have to change some habits, I am the first person to admit it I have and addiction to heels.

What in the world would I do if once again pleasure driving was prohibited, and all road trips would be thing of the past. Its so interesting how times have changed, certain supplies and materials so limited today that we are even running out of water in some areas, any we can not run on fossil fuels forever. Putting limits on are intake of goods is that something we need now? (to the left I added a picture of some soldiers in fatigue during WWII) With the war going on and are debt rising, should we learn to make use of are resources better and live like we were back in the 1950s.
Back then when a family ran out of their coupons they could not buy rationed goods till the next month, victory gardens were encouraged. (here is a great advert for victory gardens from the 1940s) These gardens provided fresh healthy fruit and vegetables, cut down on food bills, as well as saving on gas by not having to drive to the market. Now to me that sounds wonderful, if only I could start a garden of my own immediately I would. Plus its an excuse for me to take out one of my old patterns from the 1950s I have collected and make my self an outfit to garden in that is easily washed and comfy for the backyard. Sadly at the moment my boyfriend and I rent a room and are not moving into are own house until july of this summer. I think I will wait until we are settled to start my new garden (don't want to shock my little plant friends).
I have always thought of my self as old fashion but now more then ever I am striving to live simpler, live like a young couple would have in the 1950s. Make those easy changes to name a few cooking more often, not using paper towels but instead cloth towels, and also making my own clothing, to improve my human foot print on this world and keep myself sane. Forgetting about what the media wants me to dress like or how they think I should do my hair but I believe it is important to bypass all the trends and live a much simpler life. When I say simpler I mean cooking at least 5 nights a week and never putting a TV dinner in the microwave but chopping the onions and carrots yourself. Once I get home from work tonite I will cook a nice meal for my boyfriend and also start working on a new outfit made with a pattern from the 1950s. The cost of buying clothing is way more then making it yourself plus the fit is perfect, a well fitting outfit always flatters any size or height.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails